File size: 2.85 MB
File type: pdf
Last download on: Fri Apr 28, 2017 02:46:56 AM
Supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) networks contain computers and applications that perform key functions in providing essential services and commodities (e.g., electricity, natural gas, gasoline, water, waste treatment, transportation) to all Americans. As such, they are part of the nation’s critical infrastructure and require protection from a variety of threats that exist in cyber space today. By allowing the collection and analysis of data and control of equipment such as pumps and valves from remote locations, SCADA networks provide great efficiency and are widely used. However, they also present a security risk. SCADA networks were initially designed to maximize functionality, with little attention paid to security. As a result, performance, reliability, flexibility and safety of distributed control/SCADA systems are robust, while the security of these systems is often weak. This makes some SCADA networks potentially vulnerable to disruption of service, process redirec- tion, or manipulation of operational data that could result in public safety concerns and/or serious disruptions to the nation’s critical infrastructure. Action is required by all organizations, government or commercial, to secure their SCADA networks as part of the effort to adequately protect the nation’s critical infrastructure.
1.Identify all connections to SCADA networks
2. Disconnect unnecessary connections to the SCADA network .
3.Evaluate and strengthen the security of any remaining connections to the SCADA network
4. Harden SCADA networks by removing or disabling unnecessary services
5. Do not rely on proprietary protocols to protect your system
6. Implement the security features provided by device and system vendors
7. Establish strong controls over any medium that is used as a backdoor into the SCADA network
8. Implement internal and external intrusion detection systems and establish 24-hour-a-day incident monitoring
9. Perform technical audits of SCADA devices and networks, and any other connected networks, to identify security concerns
10. Conduct physical security surveys and assess all remote sites connected to the SCADA network to evaluate their security
11. Establish SCADA “Red Teams” to identify and evaluate possible attack scenarios
12. Clearly define cyber security roles, responsibilities, and authorities for managers, system administrators, and users
13. Document network architecture and identify systems that serve critical functions or contain sensitive information that require additional levels of protection
14. Establish a rigorous, ongoing risk management process
15. Establish a network protection strategy based on the principle of defense-in-depth
16. Clearly identify cyber security requirements
17. Establish effective configuration management processes
18. Conduct routine self-assessments
19. Establish system backups and disaster recovery plans
20. Senior organizational leadership should establish expectations for cyber security performance and hold individuals accountable for their performance
21. Establish policies and conduct training to minimize the likelihood that organizational personnel will inadvertently disclose sensitive information regarding SCADA system design, operations, or security controls
Bookmark or share this info on Google+ and leave comment at below :
People who downloaded this also viewed in this sites:
This document describes the different components of OpenSCADA™ from a users point of view.This was just a quick and easy setup of an OSGi™ based...
Much of the U.S. critical infrastructure is potentially vulnerable to cyber-attack. Industrial control computer systems involved in this...
This manual has been prepared by or for the Government and, except to the extent indicated below, is public property and not subject to...
Leave comment :
"21 Steps to Improve Cyber Security of SCADA Networks"
Related Free Files
Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition... - Download: 191 times
Troubleshooting SCADA Radio System Interface... - Download: 376 times
SCADA and Substation Control Communication... - Download: 385 times
Automation and Security Consulting Services... - Download: 1485 times
SCADA Remote Terminal Unit... - Download: 1285 times
SCADA and Substation Control Communication... - Download: 2494 times
Data Acquisition System Design... - Download: 2380 times
A Strategic Approach to Protecting SCADA and... - Download: 186 times
The Fundamentals of SCADA... - Download: 617 times
SCADA Field Devices... - Download: 1121 times